"Chesed Shel Emeth was formed in 1888 by immigrants from Russia. Russian immigrants could find Orthodox congregations in St. Louis, but they found the rituals and tradition of the local synagogues unfamiliar. They formed, first, a chevra kadisha (a burial society) in order to bury their deceased with familiar rites, then they formed a congregation. Their original hopes were modest: a hearse, which they achieved in 1889, and an agreement with one of the Jewish cemeteries for a section of their own. In 1893 they acquired ground for themselves at Olive and Hanley, the site of the original Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery."